November 25, 2015 by Paul Chappell
We live in a world where “enough” is never enough. Whether we realize it or not, there is a constant pull on our hearts toward materialism and covetousness.
But it’s not just adults who fight these battles. Our children are bombarded with the offer of more. They need more friends on Facebook. More style in their wardrobe. More entertainment. More money. More fun. More…of everything.
Of course, more isn’t always bad. But it is harmful if we can’t be satisfied without it.
In today’s materialistic society, however, it’s not difficult to see why our kids struggle with contentment. Children ages two to five see more than forty thousand commercials on television a year. No wonder they need more. (more…)
Category: Christian Life, Family
Tags: Christian Walk, Family, Media/Resources, parenting, Recommended Reading, Resource | Comments (0)
November 12, 2015 by Paul Chappell
The way I remember Christmas morning when our children were small was a row of eager children sitting on the couch—excited to open their presents, but first basking in the warmth of hearing Dad read the Christmas story. And of course, meditating on the grace of God in taking on human form and…
Unfortunately, that’s not the way our old VHS tape preserved one of those Christmas morning memories.
In one particular home video, rediscovered in recent months by our son, Larry, and watched with interest and delight by our other adult children, our four kids were not in a row (or even on the couch). I was reading the Christmas story—or rather, trying to—over Matt’s three-year-old interruptions. (more…)
Category: Christian Life, Family, Media/Resources
Tags: Christmas, Family, parenting, Recommended Reading, Resource | Comments (0)
October 23, 2015 by Paul Chappell
Do you ever wonder how a nation that carved the words of Scripture into its stone monuments and inscribed “In God We Trust” on its currency could come to the place where the Bible is openly scorned and its truth is disregarded?
Although there have been concerning trends in our nation for years, it seemed to me that the Supreme Court decision this past summer granting same-sex marriage as a constitutional right brought this rejection of God to the level of an official national position.
Just decades ago, we saw the resurgence of what some called the “moral majority” in America, but today, Christians who believe the Bible can only be described as a “moral minority.”
How did we get here as a nation? Is there hope for a national turning back to God? And more importantly, what can Christians do today to make a difference for Christ? (more…)
Category: Christian Life, Current Events, Media/Resources, Ministry Leadership
Tags: Current Events, Media/Resources, ministry, Ministry News, patriotic, Recommended Reading, Resource, Striving Together | Comments (0)
July 23, 2015 by Paul Chappell
If you’ve had the privilege to know Dr. Don Sisk, you are blessed.
In fact, one reason I’m so excited about his recently-published biography, Where Only God Could Lead, is that it shares the story of Dr. Sisk’s life for anyone. (In a moment, I’ll tell you how you can get a free copy, signed by Dr. Sisk.) (more…)
Category: Christian Life, Media/Resources, Ministry Leadership
Tags: faith, faithfulness, leadership conference, Media/Resources, ministry, Ministry Moments, Missions, Recommended Reading, Resource | Comments (20)
June 15, 2015 by Paul Chappell
Over the past few weeks, Striving Together Publications has released several new resources that we believe will be tremendously helpful for Christians and local church ministry.
The resources below will be featured at Spiritual Leadership Conference this week, but for those unable to attend the conference, I’d like to highlight them for you.
Below is a brief description of each resource with a link for more information and availability to purchase from Striving Together.
- Continue discipleship curriculum—This project has been in progress for over two years, and we were delighted to release it this spring. Beta tested here at Lancaster Baptist Church and now already being used around the country, we’re getting very positive feedback on this new discipleship curriculum. (I wrote a separate post about it a few weeks ago.)
- Order in the Church, 2nd Edition—It’s hard to believe, but this was the very first book published through Striving Together Publications—over ten years ago! Revised and updated this summer, we believe this second edition is even more helpful. It is streamlined and includes additional ministry opportunities we’ve developed over the past ten years. This edition also includes access to online downloads.
- Where Only God Could Lead: The Life Story of Don Sisk—If you know Dr. Don Sisk, you know that his biography could be nothing less than inspiring. If you don’t know him, you need to! Written by a gifted communicator, Cary Schmidt, this record of how God molded and directed a life over eighty years and has been expanding and leading a man’s ministry over sixty years will encourage and challenge your faith.
- Lessons from the Road: A Study of the Gospel of Mark—This resource was compiled and written by my brother, Pastor Stephen Chappell, from a verse-by-verse series of messages he preached on the Gospel of Mark. It would be tremendously helpful either for personal Bible study or for sermon preparation from Mark.
- The Plan B Prayer—In this insightful study of Psalm 90, Pastor Tim Zacharias transparently shares experiences from his life that have given him personal understanding of what it means to walk through difficult times. In these pages, you’ll find encouragement and application that will strengthen your hope and deepen your understanding of God. Thought-provoking questions at the end of each chapter prompt reflection or aid discussion for individual or group study.
- Strengthen Your Hands—A compilation of ten practical lessons from the book of Nehemiah, I wrote this minibook to encourage godly leaders to remain strong in the work of the Lord.
- Save the Day—This minibook, written by my wife Terrie, draws practical truths from “a wise woman” in 1 Chronicles 20 on applying God’s wisdom to life struggles.
- Know that You Know—In this minibook, Evangelist Paul Schwanke leads readers through the the truths of 1 John, examining the sources of doubt, the evidences of salvation, the promises of God, and the assurance available to every believer in Christ.
- Securely Woman—Written by Karen Hightower, this book introduces the biblical principle of femininity and suggests simple, practical ideas for embracing Christian womanhood.
- Consider Christ curriculum—This thirteen-lesson study is designed to focus students’ thoughts on Christ, resulting in renewed minds and refreshed joy.
- Transforming Truths curriculum—This new series by Dr. Jim Schettler explores thirteen loved and well-known verses with an emphasis on practical application.
- Stories of Grace, Volume 2 children’s curriculum—The second lesson set in a series featuring Bible stories every child should know, these thirteen lessons focus on the lives of prominent New Testament Bible characters. Also available are supplementary flashcards and a ministry resource download.
- Student Planner 2015–16—Featuring month-at-a-glance and week-at-a-glance pages with encouraging Scriptures and motivating quotes, this student planner will help junior high and high school students mange their assignments and schedules. Used in Christian schools across America and as gifts for youth group attendees, this resource makes a great gift from teachers and youth leaders.
We’re praying that the Lord will use each of these to encourage spiritual growth and equip saints for the work of the ministry.
Category: Christian Life, Media/Resources, Ministry Leadership, Ministry News
Tags: Church, Media/Resources, ministry, Ministry News, Recommended Reading, Resource, Striving Together | Comments (0)